Forum 2.0

2067 Discern God’s will

Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect. Rom 12:2 ESV

It’s useful to distinguish between “guidance” and “discernment”. Guidance is something God does, but discernment is something we do. Guidance is more direct and definite, whilst discernment is more tentative – done “in faith”. We often look to God for specific direction in our lives – and easily make mistakes trying to find it – while the normal Christian life more often works with discernment. How do we discern God’s will for us? Well, if we live near to God, our minds will be renewed – as Paul says here – and we’ll better be able to discern God’s will. That’s the starting point. Then we should know the Word and preferably be mature, personally and spiritually. If we then encounter difficult situations or are faced with tough decisions we can – with other, mature believers – DISCERN which principles or values are at stake, which truths are involved, what our priorities should be – what Jesus would do! Having done that we can make a considered and prayerful decision and proceed in faith. THAT is how discernment works!

Lord, renew my mind, so that I can discern your will. It is clear that my old ways of thinking will only produce my own will. Amen.

Discern God’s will for you!

These devotions are part of a series on discipleship. Follow the whole series!

Readers’ replies are welcome. Please forward this message, but do not spam others.

Subscription to this daily mail is free at our website. Visit us also for more information.

© 2017 BY THE WAY with Jimi le Roux | www.jimileroux.com

You need to be a member of jimileroux30 to add comments!

Join jimileroux30

Email me when people reply –