Forum 2.0

2114 Learn the outward disciplines

But when you fast, anoint your head and wash your face that your fasting may not be seen by others but by your Father who is in secret. And your Father who sees in secret will reward you. Mat 6:17-18 ESV

Spiritual disciplines are the faith practices that define our spiritual life. There are several types of disciplines, of which we have covered the “inward” ones. The so-called “outward” disciplines have to do with our actions, behaviour. The best known of these is SOLITUDE, that wonderful habit of scheduling alone-time with God. Perhaps you can close the office door for half an hour over lunch or have a quiet Sunday afternoon? Marvellous! Other outward practices are FASTING, abstaining from (certain) food as a form of prayer, PRAISE (yes, praise is a discipline) and STUDY – to systematically learn more about God’s things. The discipline of SIMPLICITY is about a lifestyle that avoids excess and the expectations and values of this world. Do some of these practices speak to your heart? Take a decision then and make a start! Work them into your life in a small but sustainable way. It’s absolutely worth the effort to focus your life on God!

Lord Jesus, I want to structure my life so that there is more time for you. Help me with that! Amen.

Focus your life on God!

These devotions are part of a series on discipleship. Follow the whole series!

Readers’ replies are welcome. Please forward this message, but do not spam others.

Subscription to this daily mail is free at our website. Visit us also for more information.

© 2018 BY THE WAY with Jimi le Roux | www.jimileroux.com

You need to be a member of jimileroux30 to add comments!

Join jimileroux30

Email me when people reply –