Forum 2.0

2116 Disciplines bring depth

For the grace of God has appeared, bringing salvation for all people, training us to renounce ungodliness and worldly passions, and to live self-controlled, upright, and godly lives in the present age. Tit 2:11-12 ESV

Our spiritual disciplines (prayer, the Word, community, serving, etc.) are the spaces we create to experience God. They are the ways we expose ourselves to God’s work. Let’s be a bit more frank about the concept of discipline, though: these things are “disciplines” because they require discipline! By nature we are more inclined to watch television than to pray, more liable to read the paper than the Bible! To make a time and place to also pray, to take up the Bible, takes effort – a real sacrifice! That is very true. The reward, though, is big, because spiritual disciplines create depth in our often shallow lives. Look again at your life, your day – your priorities. Start with fifteen minute per day as a quiet time. It’s really possible! Commit yourself to church again. Give more, serve more! Grow your life spiritually – it’s worth the effort!

Lord Jesus, I do want to go deeper with my life. Help me to cultivate spiritual practices that will benefit my unique journey, my personal relationship with you. Amen.

Develop depth in your life!

These devotions are part of a series on discipleship. Follow the whole series!

Readers’ replies are welcome. Please forward this message, but do not spam others.

Subscription to this daily mail is free at our website. Visit us also for more information.

© 2018 BY THE WAY with Jimi le Roux | www.jimileroux.com

You need to be a member of jimileroux30 to add comments!

Join jimileroux30

Email me when people reply –