Forum 2.0

2117 A we-thing

For where two or three are gathered in my name, there am I among them. Mat 18:20 ESV

We live in a very individualistic society. In Biblical times, though, it was completely different. They were community oriented, irreversibly part of a group: a family, a village, a tribe, a nation. They lived communally: working, eating, sleeping, praying, deciding as a group. Privacy and private possessions were not as important as they are today. Theirs was a shared life. To go against the group was considered disloyal and ungrateful. Nowadays everything has changed! People now act individually, even in important matters. They make their decisions independently, standing on their own personal values, choices and beliefs. They were taught that it’s their right! This individualism has its drawbacks, though. We miss out on the wisdom and experience of the group. We even think that our faith is an individual matter, an I-thing, a “personal relationship” only. In Biblical times, though, it was thoroughly a community matter, a we-thing. Let’s be clear: Christianity is done with others, between others, for others. Community life is wonderful, though – we must just rediscover it!

Thank you Father, for a spiritual community. When we’re together, you are there! Amen.

Develop a community life!

These devotions are part of a series on discipleship. Follow the whole series!

Readers’ replies are welcome. Please forward this message, but do not spam others.

Subscription to this daily mail is free at our website. Visit us also for more information.

© 2018 BY THE WAY with Jimi le Roux | www.jimileroux.com

You need to be a member of jimileroux30 to add comments!

Join jimileroux30

Email me when people reply –