Forum 2.0

2209 Father gave me my identity

But when he who had set me apart before I was born, and who called me by his grace. Gal 1:15 ESV

Most people have no idea of their “identity” and also don’t care. Still, a clear sense of identity is important, because it helps us in our decisions and general life direction. We act in accordance with who we are! Our identity is formed in the interaction with our parents and others. Our father gave us our (family) name and ideally also our worth (the knowledge that we’re acceptable and loved) and values. It happens by itself in his behaviour towards us and by his example. In the absence of a father it happens via the mother and other role models. Our interaction with these authority figures leaves us with a deep – almost inexpressible – sense of WHO WE ARE. If we confront crises in our lives and have to decide how we want to react our identity is developed further. Yes, we do have a share in who we are and who we want to be! The question is therefore this: who are you and who are you becoming?

Father, thank you for dad and for mom. They made me who I am today. Thank you that I also have control over who I want to be! Amen.

Be who you are, become who you want to be!

These devotions are part of a series on discipleship. Follow the whole series!

Readers’ replies are welcome. Please forward this message, but do not spam others.

Subscription to this daily mail is free at our website. Visit us also for more information.

© 2018 BY THE WAY with Jimi le Roux | www.jimileroux.com

You need to be a member of jimileroux30 to add comments!

Join jimileroux30

Email me when people reply –