Forum 2.0

2244 Paradise lost

He drove out the man, and at the east of the garden of Eden he placed the cherubim and a flaming sword that turned every way to guard the way to the tree of life. Gen 3:24 ESV

Almost like the first humans, who were driven out of paradise, every man or woman is “driven” at birth from their safe and peaceful existence into a harsh reality. The moment we arrive in the world, sin already works in upon us. For the very first time we experience needs – and the distressing lack of their fulfilment. Together with our parents’ care we also experience their expectations and inconsistencies – perhaps even unfairness or rejection. Parents are imperfect and often project their own need for control or esteem onto their children. Very soon, therefore, we lose the unity, peace and fearlessness that every child is born with and start to conform, perform or compete for attention and need fulfilment. We develop a mask toward the world, a front, the expected behaviour that will make us acceptable and likeable. In this way our “ego” is formed. As we grow up our “true self” – who we were and deep down still is – becomes more and more buried, and the “false self” – what we pretend to be and need to be – becomes more and more who we think we are. Can we find back our true selves? Yes – with God we can!

Heavenly Father, it’s true that I’ve lost much of my innocence and peace. I had to become something else, someone else. In many ways I’ve become hard, even false. Lead me back to who I really am! Amen.

Realize how much you had to change!

These devotions are part of a series on discipleship. Follow the whole series!

Readers’ replies are welcome. Please forward this message, but do not spam others.

Subscription to this daily mail is free at our website. Visit us also for more information.

© 2018 BY THE WAY with Jimi le Roux | www.jimileroux.com

You need to be a member of jimileroux30 to add comments!

Join jimileroux30

Email me when people reply –