Forum 2.0

2249 What I have, what I do

For all that is in the world--the desires of the flesh and the desires of the eyes and pride in possessions--is not from the Father but is from the world. 1 Joh 2:16 ESV

We are discussing the “false self” and the “true self”. The “false self” consists, among other things, of all the falseness and pretence in our lives. In practice it often boils down to the following:

• WHAT I HAVE. In this world money and material possessions count, because we allow them to define us. Our desire, therefore, is for new cell phones, for shiny cars and beautiful houses – not for their inherent worth, but to buy the esteem of others.
  • WHAT I DO. We want to compete and perform, to be “winners”, so that others will see us as successful. We therefore strive for the honour of men, for status and acknowledgement.

To live according to the expectations or approval of others can be unsatisfactory, though, because there will always be more expectations, more goals to be achieved to be seen as “successful”. No, these things are the false goals of the false self – the false lifestyle of a false world! What are the true goals of the “true self”? Remember: true success lies in WHO I AM – in my sincerity, my gratitude and contentment, my relationships and love, my walk with God. Oh, what success, what a blessing!

Lord, help me to live authentically – not for the approval of others, but for yours. Amen.

Live sincerely and authentically!

These devotions are part of a series on discipleship. Follow the whole series!

Readers’ replies are welcome. Please forward this message, but do not spam others.

Subscription to this daily mail is free at our website. Visit us also for more information.

© 2018 BY THE WAY with Jimi le Roux | www.jimileroux.com

You need to be a member of jimileroux30 to add comments!

Join jimileroux30

Email me when people reply –