Forum 2.0

2337 Faith lets them go

Indeed, I count everything as loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord. For his sake I have suffered the loss of all things and count them as rubbish, in order that I may gain Christ Phil 3:8 ESV

If faith means complete trust in God, it implies that we let go of all the other things in which we trust. It’s like a man who fell over a high cliff and grabbed hold of a branch growing out of the rock face. Hanging between life and death he decided to call out to God: “Is there anyone up there?” God’s booming voice came to him: “I am here! Let go of the branch – I will catch you!” After a moment the man called out again: “Is there anyone else up there?” He didn’t want to let go of the branch! In the same way we have many “branches” in which we trust, for example our good works, exemplary life or church involvement. In these verses Paul firstly mentions his many good qualities, but then says he counts them all as nothing, as “rubbish”. He does not trust in them at all, he lets them go. Only when we realise that our so-called merits are meaningless in God’s presence, we’ll get to the point of conversion. Only when we realise, we need grace, we’ll find it! True faith lets go of our illusions of control.

Lord Jesus, I let go of all my merits and efforts to control my salvation. Your merit alone, on the cross, saves me. I trust in you alone! Amen.

Let go of your merit!

Readers’ replies are welcome. Please forward this message, but do not spam others.

Subscription to this daily mail is free at our website. Visit us also for more information.

© 2018 BY THE WAY with Jimi le Roux | www.jimileroux.com

You need to be a member of jimileroux.com to add comments!

Join jimileroux.com

Email me when people reply –