Forum 2.0

2443 The Breathing of His Name

God said to Moses, "I AM WHO I AM." And He said, "Say this to the people of Israel, 'I AM has sent me to you.'" Ex. 3:14 ESV

God’s name came to us as four consonants only, YHWH, because the Hebrew script at that stage only had consonants to work with. We added the vowels ourselves according to our best understanding, linguistically, and currently we pronounce the Name as Yahweh. Some experts noticed, though, that these letters where all “aspirate” consonants, long breathing sounds. Also, the Hebrew word for “being” evolved from the word for “breathing”. These two facts had them conclude that God’s name is onomatopoetic – that it’s the sound of breathing! Indeed, when one pronounces just the consonants as they are, as one sound, it sounds like breath, like wind: y-h-w-h. Even the word Yah-weh sounds like breathing in and out again.

For some, this is very significant! It would mean that God’s Name is not just a name but is why we exist, live and breathe in Him. It would mean that every breath we take is saying His name, that every new-born calls on God by taking its first breath, that every dying person says Yah-weh as their very last deed. He-who-exists is the source of our existence, after all. How beautiful!

God-who-exists, thank you that I’m alive because of Your breath, Your Spirit. Today I pray that every breath of mine will be a prayer to You, that my whole existence will be to Your Honour. In Jesus’ Name, amen.

Readers’ replies are welcome. Please forward this message, but do not spam others.
Subscription to this daily mail is free at our website. Visit us also for more information.
© 2019 BY THE WAY with Jimi le Roux | www.jimileroux.com

You need to be a member of jimileroux.com to add comments!

Join jimileroux.com

Email me when people reply –