2793 What Do I Desire?

You shall not covet your neighbour's house; you shall not covet your neighbour's wife, or his male servant, or his female servant, or his ox, or his donkey, or anything that is your neighbour's. Ex. 20:17 ESV

God’s law is not just about deeds but about attitudes and motives – about the heart. Ultimately, God’s law provides that we must have a right heart: sincere before Him and toward others. Then our deeds will be right as well. The last commandment, therefore, goes deeper than deeds. It requires an examination of our motives. What do I desire? Do I simply want what others have? Do I want things only for myself? Such desires can cause me to break the law.

Take note, desires as such are not forbidden by the law. Why would it, for to desire things is normal and natural? No, it’s about what my desires are. Do I also desire good things for my neighbour, for example – a house, a wife, possessions? Do I desire what the Lord desires? Do I desire His will for me? Do I desire to put His kingdom first, so that “all these things” can be added unto me? Do I want firstly to delight in Him? Because then I will receive the desires of my heart!

Father, examine my heart through Your Holy Spirit. Know my attitude, my motives, my thoughts. Show me where my desires are not honouring to You. Give me a true heart, trained on You, so that my desires will coincide with Yours. Help me to put the kingdom of God first! I trust You with all my desires and all my needs. In Jesus’ Name, amen.

MEDITATE TODAY: What is my ultimate desire?

Readers’ replies are welcome. Please forward this message, but do not spam others.

Subscription to this daily mail is free at our website. Visit us also for more information.

© 2020 BY THE WAY with Jimi le Roux | www.jimileroux.com

8174588269?profile=RESIZE_400x

You need to be a member of jimileroux.com to add comments!

Join jimileroux.com

Email me when people reply –