Forum 2.0

0076 Luke 23:18-24 Me, Barabbas

So Pilate decided to grant their demand. He released the man who had been thrown into prison for insurrection and murder, the one they asked for, and surrendered Jesus to their will. Pilate listens to Jesus’ case, and finds him officially innocent. But he gives Him over to the Jews anyway, to be crucified – just because the crowd was getting mutinous. A crying shame. Because it was Passover and Pilate was going to release a Jewish criminal anyway, he thought he might as well release Jesus. But the crowd is screaming for Barabbas, a criminal guilty of murder. Barabbas was a leader in a rebellion against the Romans – maybe even one of the assassins who silently went around stabbing enemies of the Jews. The irony is that the innocent has to die instead of the guilty one. Barabbas is freed, while the Son of God dies. Where do you and I fit into this story? Well, as sad as it is, we stand next to Barabbas! We, with our sins, are freed and Jesus dies in our place. And saying Barabbas’ sins were worse than yours doesn’t count – it’s irrelevant. Your selfishness and hate and hurtful words are what Jesus died for – in your place. Lord, thank You for bridging the gap between me and the Father. Amen. You are to welcome to bless others by forwarding this message. Subscription to By the Way is free at www.jimileroux.com. © 2009 Jimi le Roux

You need to be a member of jimileroux30 to add comments!

Join jimileroux30

Email me when people reply –