Forum 2.0

The Spirit of the LORD will rest on him— the Spirit of wisdom and of understanding, the Spirit of counsel and of power, the Spirit of knowledge and of the fear of the LORD. We are using Isaiah’s above description of the sevenfold Spirit to learn more about who the Holy Spirit is. Lets look today at the THIRD description of the Spirit as the “Spirit of understanding”. In some churches these two terms “Spirit” and “understanding” are seen as opposites! What I mean is that sometimes it is assumed that too much of understanding can hinder the Spirit. Sometimes we believe that the Spirit only works impromptu – spontaneously, in the moment – not long before in discerning, careful planning or preparing. This however, is clearly not the case – the prayer that has been planned beforehand, written down and read out loud, could be more Spirit-driven than a spontaneous prayer. In the Bible we find a strong appreciation for everything concerning the mind: factual knowledge, education, experience, insight, wisdom, sound judgment, etc. We read that we should ever act with good sense, not in foolishness. It doesn’t help that we have zeal for God, but don’t apply it with understanding. We need both – in fact, we need more of both. Spirit of Understanding: give me more knowledge, understanding and judgment. Amen. You are to welcome to bless others by forwarding this message. Subscription to By the Way is free at www.jimileroux.com. © 2009 Jimi le Roux

You need to be a member of jimileroux30 to add comments!

Join jimileroux30

Email me when people reply –