Forum 2.0

2058 Learn to pray: for HIS things

Pray then like this: "Our Father in heaven, hallowed be your name. Your kingdom come, your will be done, on earth as it is in heaven. Mat 6:9-10 ESV

Jesus’ disciples asked him to teach them how to pray – as John also taught HIS disciples. That’s when Jesus taught them the prayer we call “Our Father”, which we can consider his teaching on prayer, his “prayer course”! It teaches us everything about prayer! The first lesson we can draw from “Our Father” is that our prayers should start with God, not with ourselves. Start your prayer by praising God for his greatness and goodness, for example – that is part of what is meant to “hallow” or honour his name. Then pray for HIS things: HIS kingdom, HIS church, HIS will to be done on earth – through you, of course! If you start your prayer with HIM, it will change you and it will change your prayer: it will bring you into line with what is important for God, not just for you. Remember, prayer is not to tell YOUR will to God – it’s to get into line with HIS will for us!

Lord Jesus, thank you for teaching me how to pray. Help me to pray less self-centered and more God-centered. Amen.

Pray God’s things before you pray your things!

These devotions are part of a series on discipleship. Follow the whole series!

Readers’ replies are welcome. Please forward this message, but do not spam others.

Subscription to this daily mail is free at our website. Visit us also for more information.

© 2017 BY THE WAY with Jimi le Roux | www.jimileroux.com

You need to be a member of jimileroux30 to add comments!

Join jimileroux30

Email me when people reply –