Forum 2.0

2064 Know the Shepherd’s voice

To him the gatekeeper opens. The sheep hear his voice, and he calls his own sheep by name and leads them out. When he has brought out all his own, he goes before them, and the sheep follow him, for they know his voice. Joh 10:3-4 ESV

In Biblical times a shepherd’s flock was his whole focus. Shepherding was his income and his way of life. He continually had to guard his sheep against wild animals or thieves. At nights he slept with them – when they were in a sheepfold he would sleep in the entrance. A shepherd knew every one of his sheep – their flocks were small – and had a name for each. In the mornings he would loudly call them out of the sheepfold, on their names – one by one. The sheep would then trot out after him, while he would be walking ahead, calling and whistling for them to follow. In the same way, says Jesus, he knows HIS sheep. He also calls them by name and leads them where they need to go. He says his sheep will know his voice and follow him, but the sad truth is that most often we do not recognize the Good Shepherd’s call. Let’s learn, however! Let’s learn to hear his voice and discern his guidance – even in the clamour and noise of the world around us.

Lord, lead me – and teach me to hear your voice! Amen.

Listen – hear the voice of Jesus!

These devotions are part of a series on discipleship. Follow the whole series!

Readers’ replies are welcome. Please forward this message, but do not spam others.

Subscription to this daily mail is free at our website. Visit us also for more information.

© 2017 BY THE WAY with Jimi le Roux | www.jimileroux.com

You need to be a member of jimileroux30 to add comments!

Join jimileroux30

Email me when people reply –