Forum 2.0

2072 The Spirit has been promised

But this is what was uttered through the prophet Joel: "'And in the last days it shall be, God declares, that I will pour out my Spirit on all flesh…” Acts 2:16-17a

In the Old Testament the Holy Spirit came sporadically on people – especially those who were called for a special task. The Old Testament, however, foresaw a time when the Spirit would come onto everyone: the Messianic Time, when a new covenant was made. In Ezekiel (36:27), for example, the Lord promised to Israel: I will put my Spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes and be careful to obey my rules. As God’s fulfilment of this promise the Spirit is then poured out at Pentecost “on all flesh” – here in Acts 2. The lesson is this: if you and I do not live through the Spirit it is not because He is not available. We sometimes feel the Spirit has not been given TO ME. That is wrong, because the Spirit has been “poured out” and is already fully present among us and in us. The problem is that WE are not fully present, fully open to his control!

Heavenly Father, thank you for giving the Holy Spirit. I open up my life to Him – teach me what it means to live under his control! Amen.

Open up to the Spirit!

These devotions are part of a series on discipleship. Follow the whole series!

Readers’ replies are welcome. Please forward this message, but do not spam others.

Subscription to this daily mail is free at our website. Visit us also for more information.

© 2017 BY THE WAY with Jimi le Roux | www.jimileroux.com

You need to be a member of jimileroux30 to add comments!

Join jimileroux30

Email me when people reply –