Forum 2.0

2077 The Spirit or the flesh

Those who are in the flesh cannot please God. You, however, are not in the flesh but in the Spirit, if in fact the Spirit of God dwells in you. Rom 8:8-9a

Being Spirit-filled is important, because God has important work to do through us – and we tend to get in the way! We are so full of ourselves that we think the spiritual life is all about US, that God is there to bless US, that the Holy Spirit’s purpose is to give US gifts, for OUR benefit. It’s exactly because of such self-centred ideas that we need to be filled by HIM! We are far too carnal, fleshly, says Paul, meaning it’s still all about our egotistical desires – even in our spiritual pursuits! The Spirit of God acts AGAINST our carnal desires – it’s either flesh OR Spirit, according to Paul, not both. How does this work in practice? Well, we need to daily surrender our own desires to HIS, daily ask for HIS will to work through us, daily work with God to overcome our egos. Then follow through with your intention by daily choosing for HIS will in your decisions, your reactions, over our own. Yes, it’s a sacrifice to live in this way, but it’s the way of the Spirit. HIS purpose is to have Christ formed in us; CHRIST is the purpose of being filled by the Spirit!

Heavenly Father, my life is about YOU. Do your will in me! Come, Holy Spirit, let Jesus be more in my life. Amen.

Give control to the Spirit!

These devotions are part of a series on discipleship. Follow the whole series!

Readers’ replies are welcome. Please forward this message, but do not spam others.

Subscription to this daily mail is free at our website. Visit us also for more information.

© 2017 BY THE WAY with Jimi le Roux | www.jimileroux.com

You need to be a member of jimileroux30 to add comments!

Join jimileroux30

Email me when people reply –