Forum 2.0

2092 The essence of faith

Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen. Heb 11:1 ESV

The text book definition of faith, as it's taught in catechism, is the following: FAITH = KNOWLEDGE + TRUST. That remains true. Let's remember, though, that "knowledge" of God does not refer to objective or scientific knowledge, because God cannot be known that way. No, this "knowledge" is subjective and intuitive - it's a knowing of the heart that God is there. In that sense faith is "blind", a reaching out into the dark, trusting to grab hold of HIM. Faith simply accepts what it hopes for, Scripture says here, it is convinced of something that the eyes cannot see as yet. It works without proofs. That is the uncertain certainty that is faith! Remember, in the presence of proofs the need for faith collapses. One day believing will become seeing, friend, but until then we proceed with expectation, with trust and hope - with faith! That's the way we live.

Father, I experience you in my heart and I respond to you with my life. Holy Spirit, strengthen my faith! Amen.

If everything is uncertain: believe!

These devotions are part of a series on discipleship. Follow the whole series!

Readers’ replies are welcome. Please forward this message, but do not spam others.

Subscription to this daily mail is free at our website. Visit us also for more information.

© 2017 BY THE WAY with Jimi le Roux | www.jimileroux.com

You need to be a member of jimileroux30 to add comments!

Join jimileroux30

Email me when people reply –