Forum 2.0

2108 Practice makes perfect

Rather train yourself for godliness; for while bodily training is of some value, godliness is of value in every way, as it holds promise for the present life and also for the life to come. 1 Tim 4:7b-8 ESV

Practice is the way to mastery, whatever the endeavour. Do you want to become fitter, learn to play golf, become a guitarist, do oil paintings, learn to weld? First you need to learn the techniques and then you need to practice them. Practice, practice, practice! Only as you put in the hours you will become better at it! Nothing happens by itself! Paul uses the word for physical training here when he says that we also need to “train” spiritually. How else will we learn to pray but to pray? How will we internalize God’s Word if we don’t read, repeat, memorize or meditate it? How will we learn to serve if we don’t turn up next Saturday morning at the church’s outreach? Everything that is worthwhile comes through effort, practice and discipline. If we’re not prepared to approach the spiritual life with discipline, we will remain immature. How sad!

Lord Jesus, my relationship with you is worth every effort. Help me to revise my priorities! Amen.

Look again at your priorities!

These devotions are part of a series on discipleship. Follow the whole series!

Readers’ replies are welcome. Please forward this message, but do not spam others.

Subscription to this daily mail is free at our website. Visit us also for more information.

© 2018 BY THE WAY with Jimi le Roux | www.jimileroux.com

You need to be a member of jimileroux30 to add comments!

Join jimileroux30

Email me when people reply –