Forum 2.0

2109 The disciplines of the Spirit

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law. Gal 5:22-23 ESV

For many Christians the topic of spiritual disciplines does not sound right. It reminds them of purely outward rituals, empty religion. They would rather be in a dynamic relationship with God and be led spontaneously by his Spirit. Such a contradiction is false, however, because the inner relationship with God and the outward form that it takes are two sides of the exact same coin! In fact, it is the Holy Spirit who leads us into more discipline, spiritually. The Bible says here that self-control is the result of being filled with the Spirit! Isn’t it the Spirit who leads us to pray more, get into the Word more, serve more, give more? Yes, the Spirit guides us into a life that is centred on God – that’s his whole purpose – and it’s a simple fact that those who pray regularly pray more, those who read the Bible systematically read more – yes, those who live with disciplines, spiritually, live more spiritually! The fruit of the Spirit is never a lack of discipline – no, it’s commitment, obedience, self-control!

Lord Jesus, I want to serve you with more commitment. Holy Spirit, fill me – bear your fruit of self-control in my life! Amen.

Come under the discipline of the Spirit!

These devotions are part of a series on discipleship. Follow the whole series!

Readers’ replies are welcome. Please forward this message, but do not spam others.

Subscription to this daily mail is free at our website. Visit us also for more information.

© 2018 BY THE WAY with Jimi le Roux | www.jimileroux.com

You need to be a member of jimileroux30 to add comments!

Join jimileroux30

Email me when people reply –