Forum 2.0

2111 The disciplines of Jesus

And he came out and went, as was his custom, to the Mount of Olives, and the disciples followed him. And he withdrew from them about a stone's throw, and knelt down and prayed… Luk 22:39, 41 ESV

Jesus’ spiritual life was punctuated by definite habits. We read that he used to pray early in the morning or that he often retreated to deserted places. We read of his habit to attend synagogue weekly. In these verses we read that it was his custom to pray at the Mount of Olives, in the shade of the trees. Yes, we see him fasting in the desert and worshiping in the temple. We see him as part of the whole Jewish ritual: saying the prayers, keeping the laws, celebrating the feasts. These spiritual disciplines gave structure to his relationship with God! Obviously we cannot pray or fast with the same intensity that the Master did, but we can develop our own habits and spiritual rhythms, shaping and defining our walk with God. If the Master deemed them necessary, how much more should we?

Lord Jesus, my relationship with you needs more structure. Help me to develop a definite spiritual life. Amen.

Bring structure into your spiritual life!

These devotions are part of a series on discipleship. Follow the whole series!

Readers’ replies are welcome. Please forward this message, but do not spam others.

Subscription to this daily mail is free at our website. Visit us also for more information.

© 2018 BY THE WAY with Jimi le Roux | www.jimileroux.com\

You need to be a member of jimileroux30 to add comments!

Join jimileroux30

Email me when people reply –