Forum 2.0

2112 The disciplines of a disciple

Do these devotions bless you? Then forward them to a friend! To subscribe to this free daily mail click here.  

And those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires. If we live by the Spirit, let us also walk by the Spirit. Gal 5:24-25 ESV

The words “disciple” and “discipline” have the same Latin origin. A discipulus was a learner (from discere to learn, see our word discern), specifically a follower of a certain teaching. The disciplina was that specific teaching, or instruction, to which he submitted himself. They are the two sides of the same coin! We also see ourselves as “disciples” (followers, learners) of a Master, following in his “disciplines” or teachings. HE teaches us and shows us and WE obey and implement them. In fact, we focus our whole lives around the teachings of the Master, because we believe that it’s the true way to live. Ultimately we think, talk and do as the Master does, which is the goal of the follower! Our conclusion is this: we cannot be disciples if we don’t follow the disciplines. Remember, the teachings of Jesus are not abstract theories, they are concrete, everyday, real-life practices. We call ourselves disciples, so let’s truly follow, let’s truly do, let’s truly become like the Master!

Lord Jesus, I do follow you as my Master. I want to make your teachings my own – help me to live them out in my everyday life! Amen.

Learn his teachings – live his teachings!

These devotions are part of a series on discipleship. Follow the whole series!

Readers’ replies are welcome. Please forward this message, but do not spam others.

To subscribe to this free daily mail click here. For more info please visit our website.

© 2018 BY THE WAY with Jimi le Roux | www.jimileroux.com

You need to be a member of jimileroux30 to add comments!

Join jimileroux30

Email me when people reply –