Forum 2.0

2119 The church is Jesus’ church

And I tell you, you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it. Mat 16:18 ESV

When Jesus called Peter and the other disciples to follow him, he didn’t just have individuals in mind. He was building his CHURCH, we see here. The word “church” (kuriakon) means “the Lord’s” and includes all who belong to him, but united, as an organised group. The disciples started right off forming congregations, appointing leaders and doing what Jesus taught them. This first church separated through the centuries into many, many parts, organisationally, but together they still remain the ONE church that Jesus built! Sometimes we get cynical about the church, mostly because of the fallible people that it’s comprised of. Sometimes we want to do our own thing, spiritually, apart of the church – follow Jesus as an individual, nothing more. That, however, is complicated. Whether we’re involved or not, we DO belong to the church – in fact, we ARE the church, because we belong to the Lord. We can just as well be involved – as Jesus intended!

Lord Jesus, I am part of your church. Make me a valuable part! Use me to be the church you intended it to be! Amen.

Be actively involved in the church!

These devotions are part of a series on discipleship. Follow the whole series!

Readers’ replies are welcome. Please forward this message, but do not spam others.

Subscription to this daily mail is free at our website. Visit us also for more information.

© 2018 BY THE WAY with Jimi le Roux | www.jimileroux.com

You need to be a member of jimileroux30 to add comments!

Join jimileroux30

Email me when people reply –