Forum 2.0

2138 A weekly sacrifice of rest

And he said to them, "The Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath. So the Son of Man is lord even of the Sabbath." Mar 2:27-28 ESV

Our time belongs to the Lord – our whole day, our whole week! As a sign of his lordship we return a part of our day and week to him, for example a daily quiet time or the weekly service. Another weekly sacrifice we can make is to keep a sabbath. We do not and, as gentile Christians, cannot keep the real Jewish Sabbath (without going into the reasons), but we can keep the sabbath rhythm. It’s very valuable! What about the following? Radically set aside one day of the week for God. Sundays were used for this purpose since Biblical times, but a Saturday or any other day can work as well. Make it a quiet day. Use it to rest. Do other things than work: God’s things, family things, personal things. Use it to pray, to reflect, to plan. The sabbath principle demonstrates that your whole week belongs to God – it will change your whole week as well!

Thank you, Lord Jesus, that YOU are my sabbath rest. Only in your rest I find my rest. Help me to put my time in your hand. Amen.

Make time for God, weekly!

These devotions are part of a series on discipleship. Follow the whole series!

Readers’ replies are welcome. Please forward this message, but do not spam others.

Subscription to this daily mail is free at our website. Visit us also for more information.

© 2018 BY THE WAY with Jimi le Roux |

You need to be a member of jimileroux30 to add comments!

Join jimileroux30

Email me when people reply –