Forum 2.0

2143 The gospel is so practical

But a Samaritan, as he journeyed, came to where he was, and when he saw him, he had compassion. He went to him and bound up his wounds, pouring on oil and wine. Then he set him on his own animal and brought him to an inn and took care of him. Luk 10:33-34 ESV

When Jesus said that God’s greatest commandment is to love our neighbour, the Pharisees wanted to know who this “neighbour” is. People still ask this question – to get around loving those they don’t like! Jesus’ answer is to tell the parable of the Good Samaritan. A priest and Levite, the model believers of their time, didn’t want to help a wounded man – because they were on their way to church! A Samaritan, from of the mixed race that lived amongst the Jews, however, did what was needed. Now THAT is neighbourly love, says Jesus. The gospel is often so simple, so practical! Love moves beyond the theory of what it is and just addresses the need before it. Just help someone, encourage someone, contribute some money, pick up the mess, fix something, make a cup of tea! It will take a small sacrifice – yes, of course – but THAT is the gospel. THAT is what God asked. One act of love is worth more than a whole book about love!

Lord, help me to live for you and for others. What can I do today to glorify your Name? Amen.

Address the need – in Jesus’ Name!

These devotions are part of a series on discipleship. Follow the whole series!

Readers’ replies are welcome. Please forward this message, but do not spam others.

Subscription to this daily mail is free at our website. Visit us also for more information.

© 2018 BY THE WAY with Jimi le Roux |

You need to be a member of jimileroux30 to add comments!

Join jimileroux30

Email me when people reply –