Forum 2.0

2222 First, know yourself

You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. This is the great and first commandment. Mat 22:37-38 ESV

Jesus says we should love others just the way we love ourselves, whereby he accepts that a healthy self-love is normal. If we do not love ourselves, we cannot love others! The problem with loving ourselves is that we don’t just have a good side, but also a bad side. We don’t have just virtues, we also have sins. Both our sides – the plus and the minus side – is who I am and must be dealt with maturely. How can we get to a biblical self-love or a healthy self-concept? Well, firstly we should know ourselves. Know your virtues and your strengths: what do you do well, where does the Spirit flow easily through your life? Also know your dark side: what do you hide, where do you resist the Lord, where are your strongholds and addictions? Be realistic and mature about yourself, without denial or distortion, without superiority or inferiority. Only if you know yourself, you’ll be able to accept yourself, to love yourself and BE yourself!

Heavenly Father, you know me better than I know myself. You know my virtues and my sin – yet you love me! Help me to develop a healthy and realistic self-love. Amen.

Know yourself!

These devotions are part of a series on discipleship. Follow the whole series!

Readers’ replies are welcome. Please forward this message, but do not spam others.

Subscription to this daily mail is free at our website. Visit us also for more information.

© 2018 BY THE WAY with Jimi le Roux | www.jimileroux.com

You need to be a member of jimileroux30 to add comments!

Join jimileroux30

Email me when people reply –