Forum 2.0

2229 Balance your work and the rest

And after he had dismissed the crowds, he went up on the mountain by himself to pray. When evening came, he was there alone… Mat 14:23 ESV

Jesus often sent the crowds away so that he could be alone with his Father. Even he could only work so much, only minister to so many people – then he had to draw the line. How much more do we need to live with healthy boundaries! When we look at our own life’s balance we’ll often see that our equilibrium is thrown out by our work. Work is important, of course, but it often requires just too much. The hours are unreasonable and many sacrifices are expected. The price is usually paid in less time for our families, personal growth or spiritual things. In the process we become poorer, not richer! Sometimes it’s difficult to draw a line because we need to work or because we don’t have fixed hours. Decide, though, how many hours you are required to give and how many hours you will add on to that for the sake of goodwill. After that, keep to your boundaries friendly but firmly! Go and do something else, give attention to those whom you love, to yourself and to the Lord. Life is about more than work!

Lord Jesus, help me to find a balance between work and the rest of my life. I must work and I want to work, but I don’t want to just work. Amen.

Work within good boundaries!

These devotions are part of a series on discipleship. Follow the whole series!

Readers’ replies are welcome. Please forward this message, but do not spam others.

Subscription to this daily mail is free at our website. Visit us also for more information.

© 2018 BY THE WAY with Jimi le Roux | www.jimileroux.com

You need to be a member of jimileroux30 to add comments!

Join jimileroux30

Email me when people reply –