Forum 2.0

2293 The shoes of readiness

Stand therefore, having fastened on the belt of truth, and having put on the breastplate of righteousness, and, as shoes for your feet, having put on the readiness given by the gospel of peace. Ephes 6:14-15 ESV

Paul uses the armour of a Roman soldier – a common sight in their day – to explain the onslaught of the enemy. After he dealt with the belt that keeps the whole armour together and the breastplate that protects the heart, he now turns to the soldier’s shoes – usually strong sandals. These he compares to the readiness of the Christian for the gospel, implying that the enemy’s attack is on our willingness and preparedness to stand out as a Christian. It’s true that it can be tiring to look after our testimony all the time, but it’s of vital importance. Remember that we’re not advocating that Christians act weird or “push” their religion in ways that defeat the purpose of being a witness! No, but we’re soldiers and soldiers without shoes can find themselves in danger. To be surprised bare feet by the enemy is to be impeded in fighting or running. Similarly, please don’t be caught doing wrong things and losing your testimony. The enemy WANTS you to take off your Christian shoes for a while, to let loose a bit, to be just one of the guys. He WANTs others to scoff and say: see, another hypocrite. No – remain prepared, Christian!

Lord Jesus, I want to remain a committed follower – at home and at work. Help me to remain prepared, ready to act for the sake of your honour. Amen.

Stand up and stand out for Christ!

Readers’ replies are welcome. Please forward this message, but do not spam others.

Subscription to this daily mail is free at our website. Visit us also for more information.

© 2018 BY THE WAY with Jimi le Roux | www.jimileroux.com

You need to be a member of jimileroux30 to add comments!

Join jimileroux30

Email me when people reply –