Forum 2.0

2303 God is holy

…but as he who called you is holy, you also be holy in all your conduct, since it is written, "You shall be holy, for I am holy." 1 Pet 1:15-16 ESV 

One of God’s distinguishing attributes is his “holiness”. This word refers in its essence to God’s otherliness – the fact that he is utterly different. He is the “wholly Other”. In his godliness the Lord is perfect and exalted, totally opposite to our sinful humanness. A concept that ties in with God’s holiness is God’s “glory”. His “glory” is the visible manifestation of his holiness. In the Bible it’s often seen, quite physically, as the light that shines from God, his radiance. Remember, when God appears he comes in a bright light, a shining cloud or a burning flame. THAT is his glory! Where do these facts about God’s holiness and God’s glory leave us? Firstly, we need to “glorify” God, in other words make his holiness known to the world. Then we must become holy ourselves. It doesn’t mean that we’ll become just as holy as God is, but that we must grow in holiness. In short: we must become more like God and less like the world around us. That – our “sanctification” – is what the spiritual life is all about.

Holy God, help me to show your glory to the world. Also help me to become more holy – as you are holy. Help me to become like Christ. Amen.

Become holy! Become like Christ!

Readers’ replies are welcome. Please forward this message, but do not spam others.

Subscription to this daily mail is free at our website. Visit us also for more information.

© 2018 BY THE WAY with Jimi le Roux | www.jimileroux.com

You need to be a member of jimileroux30 to add comments!

Join jimileroux30

Email me when people reply –