Forum 2.0

2304 Who is God for me

Jesus said to them, "If God were your Father, you would love me, for I came from God and I am here. I came not of my own accord, but he sent me. Joh 8:42 ESV

By constantly referring to God as “Father”, Jesus introduced a new “God image” into Jewish thinking, since the Old Testament only does that very seldomly. Remember, everyone sees God in his own typical way – everyone has a mental picture of God, a “God image” or “God concept”. Our God concept, of course, is merely a man’s personal and particular understanding of who God is, it’s not God himself! It’s useful to investigate and know your own God image. Think, for example, of the following: What was your God image as a small child, as a teenager, when you came to the Lord? What is it now? What is the God concept of your parents, your spiritual tradition, your church? How did your experience of your own father influence or inform your understanding of God? We must understand that our image of God can be wrong, distorted by factors such as our personality, our circumstances or experiences. Base your God image solely on what Scripture says, what Jesus says about God! Also, remember that God is much, much more than our God image!

Almighty God, help me to understand you as you are, although I know that you’re also much more than I can ever understand. Amen.

Understand your God image!

Readers’ replies are welcome. Please forward this message, but do not spam others.

Subscription to this daily mail is free at our website. Visit us also for more information.

© 2018 BY THE WAY with Jimi le Roux | www.jimileroux.com

You need to be a member of jimileroux30 to add comments!

Join jimileroux30

Email me when people reply –