Forum 2.0

2321 Jesus was a Jew

And behold, a woman who had suffered from a discharge of blood for twelve years came up behind him and touched the fringe of his garment, for she said to herself, "If I only touch his garment, I will be made well." Mat 9:20-21 ESV

Of course, Jesus wasn’t a “Christian”. Jesus was a Jew. Not just a Jew, but a typical and pious Jew. Jesus prayed the prescribed prayers three times a day and wore a garment (tallit) adorned with the prescribed fringes and tassels (tzitzit), as we see in this verse. Jesus only ate kosher, kept the law meticulously and attended all festivals. On Friday evening he was in the synagogue, going through the motions of the weekly service. The Sabbath had special meaning to him! Where do these facts leave us, who are not Jewish? Mustn’t we follow Jesus in these customs? Not necessarily. The church decided, already in Acts (chapter 15), that non-Jews needn’t become Jews to become Christians. Therefore, the non-Jewish believers of the Bible never took on the Jewish customs. They served God in a New Testament way, through his Spirit. You and I can do the same!

Heavenly Father, I want to serve you with a sincere heart. Lead me through your Spirit to serve you more! In Jesus Name. Amen.

Live a New Testament life!

Readers’ replies are welcome. Please forward this message, but do not spam others.

Subscription to this daily mail is free at our website. Visit us also for more information.

© 2018 BY THE WAY with Jimi le Roux | www.jimileroux.com

You need to be a member of jimileroux30 to add comments!

Join jimileroux30

Email me when people reply –