Forum 2.0

2326 The cross as death penalty

Therefore, just as sin came into the world through one man, and death through sin, and so death spread to all men because all sinned. Rom 5:12 ESV

The cross of Christ is central to the topic of salvation. It can be understood from many angles, but let’s start by seeing the cross as the death penalty for sin. “The wages of sin is death”, remember? God warned the first humans that transgression of his command will “surely” result in death. That’s exactly why we experience death in our world: decay, sickness, mortality and PHYSICAL death. Sin also results in SPIRITUAL death: the deadness in our souls when we move away from God, who is the source of life. Eventually it becomes ETERNAL death – when God is completely out of the picture. If Christ, then, wanted to take the “wages of sin” upon himself, he had to die. Because of the cross the grip of death is now broken in our lives: first of eternal death, then of spiritual death and eventually also of physical death. LIFE is now breaking through in us: abundant life, spiritual life and eventually eternal life, which will have no decay, pain, suffering or death. The cross brought Jesus death, but for us it brought life, life, life!

Thank you, Lord Jesus, for dying for my sin. Thank you that, in you, I have abundant life – eternal life! Amen.

Take the life that Jesus’ death bought!

Readers’ replies are welcome. Please forward this message, but do not spam others.

Subscription to this daily mail is free at our website. Visit us also for more information.

© 2018 BY THE WAY with Jimi le Roux | www.jimileroux.com

You need to be a member of jimileroux30 to add comments!

Join jimileroux30

Email me when people reply –