Forum 2.0

2442 The Meaning of the Name

God said to Moses, "I AM WHO I AM." And He said, "Say this to the people of Israel, 'I AM has sent me to you.'" Ex. 3:14 ESV

At the burning bush Moses enquired about God’s Name. Then he heard these words: “EHYEH ASHER EHYEH”. It means “I am Who I am” based on the Hebrew word “to be”. However, where God said of Himself, “I am” (ehyeh), His people would say of Him, “He is” (yahweh). The Hebrew word for being, though, implies not just a passive existence but actively “being” something. Therefore, God’s Name could also mean: “I will be Who I will be”, “I will be Who I am” or even “I will become Who I become”.

So – that’s what we have concerning God’s Name: that He is, that He was, that He always will be. That’s where our knowledge of Him starts off: that He’s a reality, a fact. The Bible does not try to prove His existence, and science cannot prove His existence. We can only accept His being by faith – or reject it. Do you sometimes doubt? Today, God says to you: “I AM…”

God-who-is, I believe that You are and that You reveal Yourself to those who seek You. I seek You, Lord, with my whole heart! Make yourself known to me, and be the Lord of my life! In Jesus’ Name, amen.

Readers’ replies are welcome. Please forward this message, but do not spam others.
Subscription to this daily mail is free at our website. Visit us also for more information.
© 2019 BY THE WAY with Jimi le Roux | www.jimileroux.com

You need to be a member of jimileroux.com to add comments!

Join jimileroux.com

Email me when people reply –