Forum 2.0

2445 Writing Down the Name

God spoke to Moses and said to him, "I am the LORD. I appeared to Abraham, to Isaac, and to Jacob, as God Almighty, but by My name the LORD I did not make Myself known to them. Ex. 6:2-3 ESV

The personal name of God, Yahweh, is riddled in mystery. To avoid the Holy Name being pronounced the Jews later took the vowels of Adonai, (“Lord”), a-o-a, and added it to the consonants of the Name, Y-H-W-H, to form an artificial name, YaHoWaH. To even avoid saying Yah, the short form of Yahweh, this was again changed to Jehovah, a form that is still used today. In the Dead Sea Scrolls, which contained ancient Scriptures, we sometimes find that the Name is not rendered in ordinary Hebrew letters at all but with the characters of paleo-Hebrew, strange and ancient glyphs. Even in our own Bible God’s true Name is (almost) never printed. Wherever Yahweh is found in the text it is printed in our Bibles as “LORD” (in capitals) or just “Lord”. If you find the word “LORD” in your Bible or “the LORD Lord”, you can know that the text reads Yahweh or Yahweh Adonai.

God’s personal name is a mystery that can hardly be penetrated any further. Our comfort is this, though: this mysterious God is our God, our Father. This mysterious God loves us!

Mysterious God, thank you for being so great. Thank you for Your goodness and grace, for Your steadfast love. Thank you, above all, for being my God and my Father. In Jesus’ Name, amen.

Readers’ replies are welcome. Please forward this message, but do not spam others.
Subscription to this daily mail is free at our website. Visit us also for more information.
© 2019 BY THE WAY with Jimi le Roux | www.jimileroux.com

You need to be a member of jimileroux.com to add comments!

Join jimileroux.com

Email me when people reply –