Forum 2.0

2447 The Lord of the Hosts

Then David said to the Philistine, "You come to me with a sword and with a spear and with a javelin, but I come to you in the Name of the LORD of hosts, the God of the armies of Israel, whom you have defied. 1 Sam. 17:45 ESV

In Scripture, God’s name, Yahweh, combines with many other words to form new names. One of the most ancient in this regard is Yahweh Sabaoth, the “Lord of Hosts”. This term was used to emphasize God’s might because it described Him as the commander of an army, as a general. The “hosts” of which He was the commander were seen as Israel’s physical armies as well as the heavenly host of angels. In these verses we read how David confronts and kills the giant Goliath in the name of the “Lord of Hosts”. The fact that Goliath ridiculed Yahweh Sabaoth cost him his life.

Like David we must confront our own giants and fight our own battles. Having a spiritual enemy and resisting his spiritual onslaughts are Biblical realities. It’s just as true, though, that Yahweh Sabaoth is part of the spiritual battle. In fact, the fight against the Evil One is primarily His, not ours, and it’s a fight that He cannot lose. His victory – and your victory in Him – is assured! Take it as a promise, today!

Lord of Hosts, thank you for fighting on my behalf, keeping me from harm. Show me what I can do to contribute to Your victory. In Jesus’ Name, amen.

Readers’ replies are welcome. Please forward this message, but do not spam others.
Subscription to this daily mail is free at our website. Visit us also for more information.
© 2019 BY THE WAY with Jimi le Roux | www.jimileroux.com

You need to be a member of jimileroux.com to add comments!

Join jimileroux.com

Email me when people reply –