Forum 2.0

2451 Lift His Banner!

And Moses built an altar and called the name of it, The LORD Is My Banner, saying, "A hand upon the throne of the LORD! The LORD will have war with Amalek from generation to generation." Ex. 17:15-16 ESV

The Amalekites had launched a sudden attack on Israel trying to prevent them from entering the Promised Land. Joshua was sent into the battle while Moses, together with Aaron and Hur, ascended a nearby hill from where they could watch everything. Moses also prayed while holding his staff out before him as a sign of their dependence on God. The episode was filled with significance because Amalek was a descendant of Esau while the Israelites descended from Jacob, Esau’s brother. Which brother would inherit Canaan? Would God’s promise to Jacob come true? Ultimately, God gave Israel the victory, through both Joshua’s fighting and Moses’ praying. Moses then built an altar which he called Yahweh Nissi, meaning the “Lord Is My Banner”. It suggested that the name of Yahweh was on the army’s banners literally or at least figuratively. The fight was about God and His promise! That was why they won.

We can handle our own spiritual struggles in the same way. Fight in the plains but also pray on the heights – until the victory is won! Let it be about Him, though, not about you.

Yahweh Nissi, let me not fight for selfish reasons but for Your Name’s sake. Let me fight for Your honour, Your promises, Your truth, Your will for us, Your purpose in the world. Let me fight against the enemy and every evil intention. Then our victory will be certain. In Jesus’ Name, amen.

Readers’ replies are welcome. Please forward this message, but do not spam others.
Subscription to this daily mail is free at our website. Visit us also for more information.
© 2019 BY THE WAY with Jimi le Roux | www.jimileroux.com

You need to be a member of jimileroux.com to add comments!

Join jimileroux.com

Email me when people reply –