Forum 2.0

2556 Justice and Righteousness

Behold, the days are coming, declares the LORD, when I will raise up for David a righteous Branch, and He shall reign as king and deal wisely, and shall execute justice and righteousness in the land. Jer. 23:5 ESV

Like Isaiah, Jeremiah predicted the coming of a “Branch,” in this case Tsemach David, the “Branch of David”. A Davidic king would come, a Messiah, in other words. His rule would be characterized by His righteousness, the upholding of the law and the execution of justice. Jeremiah added that He would be called Yahweh Tsidkenu, “the Lord our Righteousness”. This righteous Branch was Jesus Christ, the King, the Judge, the Saviour – the only Messiah who can truly be called Yahweh Tsidkenu.

Evangelical Christians often underestimate the importance of justice in God’s eyes. We often emphasise righteousness as a spiritual matter only, something between God and us. Biblically speaking, righteousness has a natural component as well. God demands, for example, justice and fairness for the vulnerable, the widows and orphans, the foreigners, the poor. Micah summarized God’s total requirement as follows: “to do justice, to love kindness and to walk humbly with God.” Never doubt it: God requires justice and righteousness. God stands on the side of what is right. Fight for what is right! It’s fundamental to our faith and to our spiritual lives.

Righteous Lord, You are the source, the cause and the standard of all righteousness. Help me to do what is right, to be completely fair, to fight for justice. Help me to be right with You as well, to act righteously, so that You will be honoured. In Jesus’ Name, amen.

Readers’ replies are welcome. Please forward this message, but do not spam others.

Subscription to this daily mail is free at our website. Visit us also for more information.

© 2019 BY THE WAY with Jimi le Roux | www.jimileroux.com

1627539734?profile=RESIZE_710x

You need to be a member of jimileroux.com to add comments!

Join jimileroux.com

Email me when people reply –