Forum 2.0

2559 Despised Servant

...He had no form or majesty that we should look at Him, and no beauty that we should desire Him. He was despised and rejected by men; a man of sorrows and acquainted with grief; and as one from whom men hide their faces He was despised, and we esteemed Him not. Isa. 53:2b-3 ESV

The “Servant of the Lord” (Ebed Yahweh) in Isaiah pointed to the coming Messiah. Nowadays, Jews reject this interpretation, although in biblical times many understood it this way. Because of this, Jews today do not expect a suffering messiah at all, only a victorious one: a king, a great leader, an international statesman. Of course, Jesus of Nazareth doesn't fit into such a picture at all! Even in His time many looked at Him and said: “This is no Messiah!” He was despised and rejected, indeed.

We also prefer great heroes, don't we? We would rather follow the “stars” of this world, the great leaders. Remember, though, Jesus said the world was the wrong way ‘round – not He! He said great leaders are those who can serve, who can wash feet. The blessed are those who are rejected, who mourn, who realize their need for God – for God will be with them. True heroes are those who can forgive, who turn the other cheek, who bless instead of curse. Let’s help Jesus, God’s despised Servant, turn the world the right way up again!

Servant of God, make me like You. Help me to get over my ego, my arrogance. Help me to look away from the world’s glitz and glory. Give me a spirit of humility and kindness, of grace for others. Give me true love for those in need, a heart for all who are despised and rejected – like You had! In Jesus’ Name, amen.

Readers’ replies are welcome. Please forward this message, but do not spam others.

Subscription to this daily mail is free at our website. Visit us also for more information.

© 2019 BY THE WAY with Jimi le Roux | www.jimileroux.com

1627539734?profile=RESIZE_710x

You need to be a member of jimileroux.com to add comments!

Join jimileroux.com

Email me when people reply –