We have now discussed the names, titles and images the Old Testament uses in articulating its expectation of the Messiah. In various ways these names express a passionate longing for a coming King, a Saviour. Jesus Christ fulfilled these expectations completely! The following seven are especially worthwhile to remember:
- Shilo – Judah would rule “until Shilo comes”, who would gather the people to Him
- Son of David – the House of David would rule again, as promised, when Messiah comes
- Immanuel – a child would be born, named Immanuel, and in Him God would be with us
- Prince of Peace – when He is born, the Sar Shalom, God’s peace on earth, would start
- Branch – “a shoot will come forth from the stump of Jesse”, when God plants His new work
- Servant – the “Servant of the Lord”, Ebed Yahweh, would come to serve and then to suffer
- Cornerstone – when Messiah comes, He would become the cornerstone of all God’s work
It would be useful to print out these names and put them up where you can see them. One way of remembering them is by praying through them, keeping to their meanings.
Readers’ replies are welcome. Please forward this message, but do not spam others.
Subscription to this daily mail is free at our website. Visit us also for more information.
© 2019 BY THE WAY with Jimi le Roux | www.jimileroux.com