Forum 2.0

2573 Call Him Jesus

And behold, you will conceive in your womb and bear a son, and you shall call His name Jesus. He will be great and will be called the Son of the Most High. And the Lord God will give to Him the throne of His father David. Luke 1:31-32 ESV

The Old Testament ended with the expectation of a Saviour, a new Davidic king. Then centuries of oppression followed. At one stage Antiochus outlawed the whole Jewish faith. Circumcision, the Sabbath, the festivals – just to have a Torah scroll became punishable by death. He even sacrificed pigs to Zeus in God's temple! He killed tens of thousands of Jews. Later the Romans came: new soldiers in the streets, new restrictions. The cry for a Saviour became only louder and louder.

Then the New Testament begins with the birth of a Child. In these verses Mary hears, in all the words of the biblical messianic expectation, that the time has come. The Saviour will be born, and His name must be (in Greek) Jesus, meaning “Yahweh saves”. Know this: Jesus fulfilled the Old Testament messianic expectations, but He did much more. He wasn’t only the Jewish Saviour; He became the world’s Saviour, offering Yahweh’s salvation to all people. He introduced a new, messianic, era. You’re already living in it!

Promised Saviour, I praise You that You’re my Saviour too. I praise You that I’m living in the new era, the time of God's favour, the time of grace and forgiveness, the time of the Holy Spirit. I thank You that I share in all these things! In Jesus’ Name, amen.

Readers’ replies are welcome. Please forward this message, but do not spam others.

Subscription to this daily mail is free at our website. Visit us also for more information.

© 2019 BY THE WAY with Jimi le Roux | www.jimileroux.com

1627539734?profile=RESIZE_710x

You need to be a member of jimileroux.com to add comments!

Join jimileroux.com

Email me when people reply –