Forum 2.0

2576 Yeshua, Jesus

When Joseph woke from sleep, he did as the angel of the Lord commanded him: he took his wife, but knew her not until she had given birth to a son. And he called His name Jesus. Mat. 1:24-25 ESV

In Jesus’ own language, Aramaic, He was called Yeshua. In their day the more formal Hebrew was reserved for the Scripture and synagogue. Yeshua helped His mother in the home and His father in the workshop. Yeshua attended synagogue school. Later, after Joseph died, Yeshua had to take care of His family Himself. Even later, when His brothers could take over the family business, Yeshua walked away, following the call He'd been hearing in His heart for years.

What happened subsequently was recorded in the New Testament, which was written in Greek. It translated all the Hebrew names of the Old Testament into Greek ones. Because Joshua was translated as Iesous, and Jesus had the same name, the New Testament tells us about Iesous. It says Iesous came to John to be baptized, after which God used Him mightily. There is nothing wrong with calling Him Yeshua, like Mary, Joseph and the disciples did. However, the Bible only knows Him as Iesous – Jesus. Call Him what you want, as long as you follow Him!

Lord Jesus, as You left everything behind to follow God's call for Your life, so I want to leave everything and follow You with my whole life. You are my calling! Be my Guide and my Master. I pray this in Jesus’ Name, amen.

Readers’ replies are welcome. Please forward this message, but do not spam others.

Subscription to this daily mail is free at our website. Visit us also for more information.

© 2019 BY THE WAY with Jimi le Roux | www.jimileroux.com

1627539734?profile=RESIZE_710x

You need to be a member of jimileroux.com to add comments!

Join jimileroux.com

Email me when people reply –