2749 Innocent as Doves

2749 Innocent as Doves

Behold, I am sending you out as sheep in the midst of wolves, so be wise as serpents and innocent as doves. Matt. 10:16 ESV

One of the images of the Holy Spirit in Scripture is that of a dove. Doves are generally symbols of peace and reconciliation. Here, in Jesus’ simile, they represent innocence. Because He sent out His followers “amidst the wolves”, they had to be wise, careful in their words and deeds. A serpent knows how to avoid danger, doesn’t it? The disciples also had to be innocent, sincere and authentic. The word the Bible uses is “unmixed”, in other words unadulterated, pure. Of such purity and innocence doves are a symbol.

Jesus sends us out as well. We also must be wise in the process. We must carefully discern who will hear our message and in what way because not all are at the point of accepting Jesus. We want our testimony to draw others closer to God, not push them away! Above all, we must remain true and sincere. People do not expect perfection from us, but they do expect sincerity and honesty. Be a true friend, therefore, a true human being, a true child of God. Let the Holy Spirit guide you in your engagement with others.

Heavenly Father, make me sincere, innocent, open. Keep my heart pure, my motives true. I want to live openly and honestly, without falseness or pretence. Guide me to approach others in the right way: in love but also in truth. In Jesus’ Name, amen.

Readers’ replies are welcome. Please forward this message, but do not spam others.

Subscription to this daily mail is free at our website. Visit us also for more information.

© 2020 BY THE WAY with Jimi le Roux | www.jimileroux.com

7887106870?profile=RESIZE_400x

You need to be a member of jimileroux.com to add comments!

Join jimileroux.com

Email me when people reply –