2785 No God Images

"You shall not make for yourself a carved image, or any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth. You shall not bow down to them or serve them, for I the LORD your God am a jealous God... Ex. 20:4-5a ESV

In biblical times, the heathen nations made images of their idols to worship. God strictly prohibited this in the second commandment. We may not even attempt to worship Him in this manner because we can never sufficiently comprehend Him or represent or render Him by way of art. He is always greater than we can think of or dream! No, in this way we will merely end with a human fabrication, which we will worship, and that would be idolatrous.

Unfortunately, we still have distinctly human “images” of God. If we cling to a false “God image”, it amounts to the same, doesn’t it? For some, God is a pedantic principal who carefully records all transgressions, for punishment later. For others He is a jolly Santa Claus who laughs away all sin. Still others see Him as absent, perhaps as absent as their own fathers were. All these images are false. We can only get our God image from Scripture. Get it from Jesus, who taught us and showed us who the Father is!

Heavenly Father, good Father, loving Father, reveal Yourself to me. Help me to rediscover You in Jesus’ words and life. Help me to rediscover You in my own life. Thank you for Your might and Your holiness; thank you for Your righteousness; thank you, above all, for Your love and grace. Make me like You! In Jesus’ Name, amen.

MEDITATE TODAY: What is my God image?

Readers’ replies are welcome. Please forward this message, but do not spam others.

Subscription to this daily mail is free on our website. Visit us also for more information.

© 2020 BY THE WAY with Jimi le Roux | www.jimileroux.com

8125607667?profile=RESIZE_400x

You need to be a member of jimileroux.com to add comments!

Join jimileroux.com

Email me when people reply –