Forum 2.0

3767 Sin cannot stop love

…but God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Rom 5:8 ESV

God’s love is a pure love: unconditional, unilateral, unaffected by our merit or our sin. Jesus illustrates this love in the parable of the Prodigal Son. A wicked son, after having insulted his father and wasted his money, is accepted by his father again – with open arms! Why? Because it’s his child. Because our own love is so conditional, we struggle – just like the older brother – to understand such love. We want to believe that God loves the good people, not the bad! They don’t deserve love – they deserve condemnation, rejection, punishment! Wouldn’t that be fair? Although God punishes bad people – or more correctly, their bad behaviour – he always loves them. Even the worst sinner is loved by God! When we sin, as we do, we often feel that we don’t deserve God’s love – and we don’t, of course. Still, think of the Prodigal Son’s father, think of how Jesus treated sinners – think of the cross. Did sin stop Jesus’ love, God’s love? No, sin cannot stop love!

Thank you, Lord, that my sin cannot and will not stop your love. I praise you for loving me always! Amen.

Look past your sin – see love!

These devotions are part of a series on discipleship. Follow the whole series!

Readers’ replies are welcome. Please forward this message, but do not spam others.

Subscription to this daily mail is free at our website. Visit us also for more information.

© 2018 BY THE WAY with Jimi le Roux | www.jimileroux.com

You need to be a member of jimileroux30 to add comments!

Join jimileroux30

Email me when people reply –